Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Christian Marriage : The Bride and the Groom

There are certain things that really gee you up, football, chocolates, ice cream, games and well a close friend's marriage. Maybe that is the Indian in me talking but everyone loves a marriage except the bride and groom's families. Fortunately I was an extended member of the holy union that unfolded today.

It was Tanya and Mits' wedding never in my life have I seen a couple so much in love with each other, well then again I haven't seen a lot of couples in love only the arranged marriage variants and they don't really have much of a choice do they? Back to the big day, I was given the honor of being the groomsman, reading up I had a lot of responsibilities which I knew I was going to shirk on anyways.

The Wedding ceremony was to happen at a Church and that was something everyone was excited about, I knew a lot of people were coming from my old office and everyone was crazy to see how a  Christian wedding takes place. Reaching the church was not the tough bit though, it was wearing a suit in this heat. It was in the middle of may when the wedding took place and Jeeeez it was warm. I felt like I was an ice cream in a Sauna with Huma Qureshi sitting next to me in a bikini, I was sweating bucket loads. Of course it could have been worse, at least I was not getting married. To be fair, both Tanya and Mits were playing it cool and were not nervous at all, unlike a couple of days back when they really were freaking out.

Walking down the aisle was a piece of cake, no one tripped up or did anything that would be considered as remotely funny or sad or embarrassing , damn. The bride and groom both looked amazing, a perfect couple to say the least and I ain't saying that so that I don't get beaten up. The entire service lasted just a little over an hour and it was perfect, well apart from the heat it was perfect. Everyone present was there as well, though I was waiting for the part when the Father would ask if someone has any issues with this marriage and everyone would give glances to one another hoping no idiot says something at this time. Tanya did not even trip in her saree, though she was adamant that was bound to happen, guess the Gods/God was with her on this one. 

I did tell her I would pay her back for making me wear a suit in this heat, I am sure I would get married in the chilly month of December/January and she would have to come in shorts. 

The photos flowed and tears were shed, in typical Indian marriage style, which was not expected to be truthful but then again it isn't an Indian marriage without the tears. The reception was next, Saree change for Tanya madam was on queue and well she had a hair extension as well which freaked me out a bit as I was left wondering whether it was real or fake, it was as real as my chances of winning 100 billion dollars.

This was at least in an air conditioned hall, I came prepared though, no suit just a kick ass shirt and jeans. I had come prepared to dance and freak some people out but that did not happen since the music was played at a low volume, I tried breaking into a jig but nevertheless, the day and night belonged to Tanya and Mits.

The food was excellent and they did take care for me at least as all the food was boneless and there was chicken, that is enough for me. Drank cola like crazy and even better was me mixing thums up and sprite, it ended up looking like beer, I don't take alcohol but this does get me a few stares down the road.

So, post dinner when we were leaving for home, I said my goodbyes to the couple who are to start a new journey together, forever, through sickness and pain, sorrow and joy, madness and calmness, always there for one another, they surely will be. 
And as I said goodbye to Tanya I whisper to her

"Aaj tum zaroor *pop* karna, jeet ke aaoge!"

Jeet ke aaoge!
 

1 comment: